Ok so, let´s start by asking what is happiness?
Well, it can be something different for everyone. For a child, it can be getting recognition when they do something well; for an adolescent it could be getting a snapchat from someone who´s really important to them, for a young person it may be finding the love of their dreams and for somebody at a more mature stage of their life it may be something as simple as a surprise visit from a loved one. For me, it´s appreciating something special in a given moment. It can be a message or a call from a sibling; a smile from one of my children or even seeing a stranger act from the goodness of their heart.
In terms of science, it´s actually an emotional state in a specific moment. And the tell-tale signs are joy, excitement, gratitude, contentment, fulfilment and overall wellbeing. (It doesn´t have to only be euphoria). In eesence, there are proof of positive sentiments. Taking into account that all human beings experience both positive and negative thoughts, happiness is when the scale heads more towards the positive side.
So, if you were to stop and reflect right now and ask yourself how happy you are, here are some questions that may help:
- Is the life you live generally a good one?
- Do you think more positively than negatively?
- Do you feel like your life has a meaning?
- Do you think that you are adding value to those around you?
After that mini reflection, whatever the result may be, here are some suggestions for you to up your level of happiness if needs be:
- Do more of what makes you happy. Enjoy the moment!
- Show gratitude. Stop. Look. Appreciate.
- Rethink your thoughts. Remember you are not your thoughts; you are how you react to them!
- Mind your body. It´s your temple. Cherish it. It´s the only person who is with you 24/7.
- Share your strengths with others
So what are you waiting for?! Why don´t you work on it and make this world a better place by being happy and then spreading amongst the Universe.
One day, or day one. You decide!